May 29, 2011

I Look Forward to Change

I have encountered people at different times and places that seem to be threatened even by considering the thought of change. Does anyone really like change? I actually do. I look forward to change. Whether it’s welcoming a new season, especially after a long cold winter, or settling into a new house. We’ve just recently purchased my wife’s parent’s house after her Dad passed away last year and Mom moved to a retirement village in Omaha. I enjoy the excitement that newness brings, even though you may have to play the waiting game for awhile.
Like nearly every author, I have spent years practicing the gift I believe God has given me. I have hoped and prayed for opportunities to share this gift with others. He has made a way, first by allowing me to become an English teacher. Then after retirement allowing me to write feature stories and articles for a newspaper, have a syndicated column called “Echoes,” and facilitate the Southwest Iowa Writers Guild and publish our column known as “The Write Stuff.”
For the longest time I could only imagine having a book published. My first journey into the publishing world was through self-publishing. About two years ago I published a story about those who have dealt with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, such as my wife who was diagnosed with the disease at age sixteen. The book, entitled, “Balloons for Breakfast,” was well received by friends, family and some doctors who treat the disease. However, I never felt I had the necessary platform with which to launch the book to a greater audience.
I am now learning how and working on a platform from which to launch my book, “Walkout,” a religious novel, currently undergoing “conceptual editing” and cover design by Tate Publishing.
I am hopeful that the book will be seen as inspirational and encouraging. It took a major dose of holy discontent with the way I saw things going in some churches before I had the courage to sit down and share my thoughts on paper.
Like I said previously, I generally like change, but not all change is easy. I was raised in a Christian home, but it eventually became apparent that there was more talk than action. As Debbie King, a supporter of the Mission Catalyst program told me, “The cruise ship is comfortable, but the Yamaha Wave Runner is more in line with God’s calling on my life.” What she is referring to is how I also perceive God’s call on my life. A cruise ship is unable to make course changes as quick as a wave runner, which maneuvers quickly and easily. Attempting to connect with people in the real world requires taking risks at times, sacrifice, tough skin and making course corrections. Some quickly. But it’s exactly where God has called me to be.
I love riding the waves with the Holy Spirit’s leading and partnering with God to see lives change. That is why I have accepted the challenge of writing my novel “Walkout” which will be released within the next few months. It is a story of how God uses those who listen to His voice to tell the love story of grace, mercy, redeeming love, and passion for His children. The story was written for those who have watched the stars of the religious world fall and who need to be reminded to keep their eyes focused on the cross.

1 comment:

  1. Welcoming change as brought about by God. Encouraging post.

    I'm looking forward to the "Walkout"!

    ReplyDelete